Sunday, April 24, 2011

post-Skype-initiation...

After an incredibly delicious meal (made-from scratch tortillas, grilled chicken, rice, beans, salsa, guacamole, yum), I had my first Skype experience with my family back in Salem.  Follow that with a viewing of The Patriot (the Provincial House has electricity and a fabulous movie collection) and a few episodes of The Office, and those of us here at the moment passed out under our mosquito nets around 1:30a.m.  Up again at 5 a.m. to join in (via Skype) on the Easter celebration happening among old friends from the UCSD Newman Center Young Adult Group, and then attempts to clean out the ol' inbox and upload some photos.  To all of you who took time out to say hello to my face via computer--thanks!  I miss you so!  Everyone looks fantastic, though, and it's great to see you in such good spirits!

After finishing this post, I'll be heading out with my fellow newbies and our Provincial welcome wagon team (those who happen to be around the house for the holiday weekend) to purchase house supplies (buckets, pots, mattresses, etc.) for our new homes. 

Having chatted with folks back home just a bit, I realize I am way overdue for some basic info.  I've had 11 weeks of cultural, language, security, and medical training, so there's no way I can condense it all properly.  Please bear with me; over the next two days I'll try to paint a clearer picture of what's happening here. 

A bit about Chishimba Falls (the site of yesterday's outing), from http://www.zambiatourism.com/travel/places/waterfal.htm:
"A combination of about three successive falls about 33 kms from Kasama, in the Northern Province. On the Eastern bank of the river just above the falls is a camp site. There is a rain forest on the Western Bank.
The Bemba people regard the Chishimba Falls as one of the most sacred places of power. The nature spirit Chishimba resides in the cave below the Falls which is a place of prayer and honour. No insults, curses, words of vengeance or hatred may be uttered in the vicinity of the caves."
Standing under that waterfall was pretty powerful--what an incredible way to spend an Easter afternoon!

Pictured here are the RED 2011 Volunteers delegation, if you will, to Northern Province.  L-R is me, Aniela, Joe, Shannon, and Jessi.  A great crew to be a part of!

No comments:

Post a Comment