Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It's been one week...

And my phone battery is rapidly dying. Yesterday I met a deaf pupil and made friends, though I wish I remembered more sign. Where's my sister Becky when you need her? He goes to a special school in Kasama, I'm told. It's inspiring to see such a bright student in grade 8 despite considerable challenges, in this area where many children never obtain that level of education- and even fewer pass grade 9 exams to go on to high school. I'm settling into my house well. The ants are persistent, the rats come and go, despite my efforts to keep things as clean as possible. I feel extremely welcomed and my Mambwe is coming along. We finished building my bathing shelter and I sewed a gorgeous curtain, so it's quite classy. I also have a bookshelf! My job right now is to meet people. Next week school starts, so I'll be doing lots of observation and learning; Peace Corps is very careful not to jump in and start changing things immediately. Things here are wonderful! Best wishes to all of you...

1 comment:

  1. Late in posting, but sounds like you're gearing up for the long haul, curtain and all :) Missed you at the reunion!

    sbagg

    ReplyDelete